Monday, June 29, 2015

Basics Series: Casual Wear

NOTE: This was something I posted a long time ago but decided to unpublish for some reason. I'm reuploading it now, but there'll be  a new post coming out soon, I promise! 

Hey everyone!

Before you ask, yes this is a prewritten post. I told you guys I'd be busy! While y'all are reading this I'll be studying... yay me!

After yesterday's heavy topic, I decided that I would lighten up today with a fun fashion post. I've lately been obsessing over wardrobe staples: things that I think every girl should have new, up-to-date versions of in her closet. The thing that I love about staples is that on those days when you really feel like doing absolutely 0 in terms of outfits, you can always look polished if you mix and match basics with trendier pieces.

I'm thinking of making a series for basic pieces because I feel like there are so many different vibes to each wardrobe (I'm talking school/office, casual, night out) and I feel like you need different basics for each. Today, I'm going to list what I think basic pieces are for casual wear. So let's begin!

T-Shirts

Now, let me clarify what I mean by T-Shirts really quickly. I don't mean the unisex kind that you get with every single school function that you attend. I mean the kind that is soft, loose, and has a bit of lycra in it to sustain you through washes. I'm a petite person, so I prefer to get these a size or two bigger than my actual size so that I can wear them with some skinny jeans. I tend to follow the "one tight, one loose" principle; either you have a tight top and flowy bottom or flowy top and tight bottom. My tee and skinny jean combo usually works with this principle, but if you're more voluptuous than me (I'm jealous) maybe a more fitted one will look better on you. Test both out and see which one looks better- everyone is unique!

I think you should have 3 neutral colored tees in your wardrobe: black, white, and gray.




I really like the one in this picture, but it's far too expensive for me (retails around $170.. yeah not buying). If the cost is not a bar to you, if you click here you can find it. However, I don't think you need to spend that much money on anything, let alone a loose tee. Check your local consignment store; chances are, you'll get the same shirt for much less!

Tank Tops

I love camis, but hate the way they fit on me; I hate anything and everything tight fit because it makes me look even more bony than I already am. I know some of you will be thinking "how can bony look that bad?", but let me tell ya, bony is not the best. So, I like loose fitting tank tops; they go perfectly well with a cardigan in the fall and can be worn tucked into a flowy skirt in the summer to make kind of a flowy-on-flowy vibe (you don't always have to follow the principle!).

I think you should have 3 neutral colored tees in your wardrobe: black, white, and nude.

This one I found on the TopShop website here and retails for around $52, so it's way over my price range, but the idea is still the same.

Neutral Cardigans

Aren't cardigans just the best? Knit cardigans can be a perfect way to transition from the summer into the winter. I say that you need 2 cardigans as staples in your wardrobe: a long one that you can wear with dresses and a shorter one that works with tees and tanks.








I realize that every example I've pulled up is ridiculously overpriced (in my opinion, at least), but I have to add in this one too. It's really cute (find it here), but retails for about $40. Look for knockoffs!















This is an example of a shorter cardigan and I love the style on the model! This outfit is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about with mixing up staples with something trendy (in this case, the red lip) to add a classic yet sophisticated look. This cardigan is from Forever 21, and you can find it here.








Dark and Medium Wash Skinnies

I'm not even going to lie, I love skinny jeans. I have far too many pairs of skinnies in my wardrobe; I almost always reach for them because they make my legs look so good (especially if the jeans are freshly washed). I've always been a fan of darker and medium wash; light wash has just never appealed to me. However, they might appeal to you, so go for them if you want! The only thing I'll say about skinny jeans is to make sure that whatever you get, it fits you really well. There's a difference between form fitting and not fitting :). Look out for that!

I'm not going to post an example because hopefully you guys know what skinny jeans look like :).

Converse

I'm a converse fanatic. I live in my high-tops and I think you should too. The best part about converse is that they're just so everyday and so practical; you instantly look a little polished with them on. They give me a 90s vibe, and I love it.

I'd say go for the classic black high top converse because they tend to make my legs look super long.


I love them so much!

And that's all for my casual wardrobe essentials. With these basics, you can really mix and match with your wardrobe and have a polished result. I love it, and I hope you do too! Also, let me know if you want to see more in this series in the comments.

Have a great day!

Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment