Thursday, June 18, 2015

Music Favorites

Hey everyone!

I have a confession to make. I'm a HUGE music lover. I love all kinds of music, but I primarily love alternative or alternative rock bands. Today, I figured that I might as well show some of you guys my favorite bands/singers and favorite songs within that band. In all honesty, this post is targeted at 1 of my friends who is struggling to find his own music taste. So without further ado, let's begin!

BANDS AND DUOS

1. The Mowgli's
[via]
This SoCal band is my absolute true love. The Mowgli's fall under the alternative rock category, but I think they span the whole alternative genre in general. They never fail to make me happier when I'm feeling down.
Genre: Alternative Rock
Listen When: You're feeling blue and you need a pick-me-up.
Favorite Songs: Say it, Just Say it & San Francisco

2. Colony House
[via]
I was introduced to colony house by the same friend that introduced me to the Mowgli's. Needless to say, she's one of my best friends. Colony house is classified as indie rock, which I think is fairly accurate. This band does have a slight christian vibe, though, so if you're not comfortable with that, I'd suggest picking something else to listen to.
Genre: Indie Rock
Listen When: You want something with a good beat.
Favorite Songs: Silhouettes & Learning How to Love

3. Alex and Sierra
[via]
I feel like Alex and Sierra don't get enough credit because they won the X-Factor. People tend to pass them over as TV-made stars, but I genuinely think they're awesome together. On the show, they're best covers were Say Something & Little Talks. As you can tell, these guys are a little more pop, but I'd describe their music as a more stripped-down version of pop.
Genre: Pop
Listen When: You're chilling out. These guys have a super casual vibe.
Favorite Songs: Scarecrow & Bumper Cars

3. Bleachers
[via]
Bleachers was a band started up by Jack Antonoff from Fun. They're fairly new, but a pretty great group. They fall under the indie pop banner, but I'd say that they resemble indie rock a little more. Take a listen and let me know what you think.
Genre: Indie Pop
Listen When: You want to spice up a mundane activity.
Favorite Songs: I Wanna Get Better & Rollercoaster

SINGERS

1. Taylor Swift
[via]
I put this one in especially for one of my friends (shout out to A) who is such a huge fan of the T-Swizz. As for myself, I've been a Swiftie since the age of 12 and I haven't looked back. I'm not going to lie, I like her old songs (ballads) far more than I do her pop singles (or 1989 in general), but she's definitely growing and I totally respect her for that.
Genre: Country/Pop
Listen When: You want some girl power in your life :).
Favorite Songs: Bad blood, Ronan

2. Jason Mraz
[via]
When I was a little girl, I went to my very first wedding. The couple's first dance was to "I'm Yours", and that was when I became such a Mraz fan. Now, several years later, I know all the lyrics to I'm Yours, and I love several of his other songs. Definitely check him out if you haven't yet.
Genre: Pop rock/Reggae
Listen When: You are feeling particularly emotional.
Favorite Songs: I'm Yours, Lucky, I Won't Give Up (sometimes this song can be too slow for me)

3. Phil Collins
[via]
My dad is a huge Phil Collins fan and so am I. To me, his music is a very psychedelic, 90s era montage. His voice also has such a distinct quality to it, and it's something that I definitely love to listen to from time to time.
Genre: Pop rock/jazz fusion
Listen When: You want a definite throwback to the 90s.
Favorite Songs: Groovy Kind of Love, Another Day in Paradise, and the ENTIRE Tarzan soundtrack!

NOTABLE MENTIONS

Basically, these songs complete my Spotify playlist. I figured I'd give you a quick list.

Phosphorescent: Nothing Was Stolen (Indie Pop)
Young the Giant: Cough Syrup (Indie Rock)
Those Dancing Days: I'll Be Yours (Indie Pop)
AJR: I'm Ready (Pop)
Jonas Brothers: Lovebug (Indie Pop)
Sugar Ray: Into Yesterday (Alternative Rock)
Corinne Bailey Rae: Put Your Records On (Soul)
Duncan Fellows: Saints (Indie Pop)
Andy Grammer: Honey, I'm Good. (Pop)
Natasha Bedingfield: Unwritten (Indie Pop)
Walk the Moon: Shut Up and Dance (Alternative Pop)

... and that's just a small sample of my playlist. Let me know what your music favorites are in the comments!

Mal

2 comments: