Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Classics Series: Breakfast at Tiffany's

Hey everyone!

Well, it's been a while, hasn't it? I know it's only been a couple of days, but I've been a bit busy with my life and I haven't been able to really sit down and write a proper blog post for all of you. Hopefully this new post series will make up for that!

Earlier this evening, I decided to watch a classic that I've never watched before: Breakfast at Tiffany's. I'm a movie fanatic, so I figured that watching a few classic movies could even be considered educational in a sense.

[via]

Plot (No spoilers, I promise!)

Breakfast at Tiffany's revolves around a young, eccentric New York socialite named Holly Golightly. Holly is extremely extroverted; she loves nothing more than a good drink and some company. A lot of the things that Holly says make absolutely no sense, but that's what is so appealing about her. She's a free spirit, unwilling to be caged, and will do anything for money.

Enter Paul Varjak, a struggling writer whom Holly nicknames Fred after her brother. Paul moves into Holly's apartment building and the two strike up an unlikely friendship. Turns out, Paul has a few secrets of his own; he's in a relationship with a married woman for the cash and hasn't written anything in years. Through Holly's friendship and love, Paul begins to write again and reconnects with his old self.

My thoughts:

In all honesty, I don't get the critical acclaim behind this movie. Although it was good (definitely not too much of a cliche), it wasn't great. I had to go back and read the wikipedia plot summary of the book so that I could understand it because a lot of plot points were kept kind of open. I haven't read the book, so maybe it could be that I don't have the background? I'm not really sure.

For positives, this movie has a great cast. Audrey Hepburn is absolutely gorgeous. She's definitely become my fashion idol. I loved Audrey's boxy turtleneck and slack combo. Check out this picture:

[via]
So freaking cute.

Even George Peppard, the main guy, was super cute. His acting didn't leave too much of an imprint on me like Audrey's did, though. Maybe he wasn't meant to shine? Who knows.

For negatives, I really didn't like the whole idea of someone owning another person. I know that Holly was kind of the epitome of someone that wasn't dependent on others, but in the end of the movie, it seemed like she fell into that stereotype of women depending on men. Maybe that might not have been the real message, but that's what I interpreted.

Another great thing about this movie were the quotes. Exhibit A:

[via]
I just love that. So much.

Let me know what classic I should watch next. I'm thinking Roman Holiday.

Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment