Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Poems to Ponder: Icarus

Hey everyone!

Lately in my English class, we've been focusing a lot on poetry. I never considered myself to be much of a poetry fan before, but I think that this class has fully turned me around into being a poetry lover. Although I have no idea about the meaning of some of the poems we talk about in class, I find myself drawn to others. I wanted to share this one, along with some of my own analysis, with you lovely people!

Poem:
Icarus

By Edward Field

Only the feathers floating around the hat
Showed that anything more spectacular had occurred
Than the usual drowning. The police preferred to ignore
The confusing aspects of the case,
And the witnesses ran off to a gang war.
So the report filed and forgotten in the archives read simply
“Drowned,” but it was wrong: Icarus
Had swum away, coming at last to the city
Where he rented a house and tended the garden.

“That nice Mr. Hicks” the neighbors called,
Never dreaming that the gray, respectable suit
Concealed arms that had controlled huge wings
Nor that those sad, defeated eyes had once
Compelled the sun. And had he told them
They would have answered with a shocked,
uncomprehending stare.

No, he could not disturb their neat front yards;
Yet all his books insisted that this was a horrible mistake:
What was he doing aging in a suburb?
Can the genius of the hero fall
To the middling stature of the merely talented?

And nightly Icarus probes his wound
And daily in his workshop, curtains carefully drawn,
Constructs small wings and tries to fly
To the lighting fixture on the ceiling:
Fails every time and hates himself for trying.
He had thought himself a hero, had acted heroically,
And dreamt of his fall, the tragic fall of the hero;
But now rides commuter trains,


Serves on various committees,
And wishes he had drowned.
Analysis:

I love this poem for two reasons - 1, it's in easy to understand language, which is very helpful for the novice poetry reader and 2, it's so touching. If you haven't heard of the story of Icarus (which I hadn't either, before I read this poem), it's basically the story of a father and son, Daedalus and Icarus, who end up jailed for some reason or another. In jail, they build wax wings and Icarus uses them to escape. Before he departs, Daedalus warns Icarus not to fly too high. However, consumed with the joy of flying, Icarus soars higher and higher until he is close to the sun, whose rays melt the wax in his wings. He immediately plummets and drowns in the water below.

How's that for a downer of a story, eh? Basically, Edward Field took the Icarus story and offered an alternative ending to it- juxtaposing the mythical story with a modern-day setting. I think his interpretation of the story in the context of the suburbs is very metaphorical. Icarus is, in some ways, an example of the heroes in our society that fall steadily out of the spotlight. The mundane is so tortuous to these people that they prefer death to the prospect of being a nobody.

The lines of this poem that undoubtedly stand out to me is the very last couplet:

"Serves on various committees,
And wishes he had drowned."

I mean, how freaking touching are those lines? In the story, Icarus is not made out to be the kind of guy that you feel sympathy for. He's an idiot- he flies towards the sun, for God's sake! But when you read the ramifications of his actions - the fact that he tries and tries to fly every single night even when he knows that he can't? That's tragedy right there. I feel sympathy for a made up character!

"Constructs small wings and tries to fly
To the lighting fixture on the ceiling:
Fails every time and hates himself for trying."

I keep re-reading this poem because I really, truly feel for Icarus. I feel for the kind of person who goes from having everything to having nothing at all. All of his glory (although this situation could be applied to other things - money, power, influence) is gone within a second. Just like the sun rapidly melted off the wax holding together his wings, so his heroism fell. He fell both physically and metaphorically. And for someone who spent his whole life being a somebody, the thought of being just another friendly, vanilla nobody is a prospect worse than death.

Hope you enjoyed this poem! I'll see you when I post next.

Love and light,

Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment